How to find a replacement tenant?


If you are wishing to drop out of the tenancy mid-way through the tenancy, you need to find a replacement for yourself or pay the rent until the end of the tenancy.

You can find a replacement in a number of ways:

We strongly recommend:

1)  You advertise on websites that specialise in room letting  (for example Gum Tree, Easy Room Mate, Find A Flat Mate, etc).

2) You can create a Facebook group/page/event and share it with your friends and get your friends to share this via their Facebook  and Twitter feeds.

3) If you are a student, there are often notice boards up around uni and in the student union where you could place an advert.

As a backup:

We can assist by advertising your room for you on our website but it's important to note that you are much more likely to find a replacement as we don't specialise in this service.  If we successfully source a tenant that all parties to the tenancy are happy to  accept and this person satisfies all required like for like rental terms and subsequently moves in, Student Haus take no responsibility for this person during the remaining period of the tenancy and accept no liability for the suitability of the tenant.

One important thing to remember whether you're looking for a replacement or we are: everyone on your tenancy agreement will need to approve any replacement and you will ALL need to sign a new tenancy agreement in order for it to be valid. 


When You've Found Someone

Once you've found a replacement tenant and your other housemates are happy with them you'll need to get in touch with Student Haus ( ) to let us know the persons name, mobile phone number and email address. We'll then prepare the relevant paperwork to be completed. You obligations don't end until all documentation is completed to your landlord's satisfaction. Remember they must  also  satisfy the same rental security as yourself (e.g. UK guarantor, pay rent upfront, etc).

Do not hand over your keys to any new tenant until we have confirmed that the paperwork is complete.



Have more questions? Submit a request


Article is closed for comments.