Avoiding mould in your student property

Damp can be a major problem in student properties across the country. The damp is usually caused by excessive condensation which is due to the amount of moisture in the air.

With multiple occupants sharing the property and taking showers, cooking and drying clothes in the property every day, the moisture levels in the property can lead to damp and mould. As the days are getting colder, most students will keep their doors and windows  shut, and fresh air can’t easily replace this water-laden air.

Additionally, B&Q website says ”When humid air comes into contact with a cold surface, it cools and condenses - depositing droplets of water. In cold weather, the temperature of your external walls and windows is lower than the air indoors - so moisture will condense and run down your window panes, and into your wallpaper and plaster.”


So, what can you do to avoid damp & mould in your student accommodation?

Damp is not pleasant for anybody and it can pose a health risk to you and your housemates. To avoid damp in your student property you can take the following steps:

  • Ensure you air out your room every morning for at least 20 minutes even when it is cold outside. This will ensure circulation of air in your property.  

  • When cooking, open the window in the kitchen or use the cooker hood to get rid of condensation.

  • Air out the bathroom after taking a shower to let the moisture leave the room.

  • Open your curtains/ blinds when it is sunny outside. The natural sunlight will heat up your room.

  • Do not dry clothes on the radiators in the house. This is not only a fire hazard but is also one of the biggest causes of mould problems.


Use your heating! We understand you are a) either on a budget if you don’t have a bills inclusive package or b) your bills inclusive package comes with a cap rate. Either way, make best use of the timer on your boiler. We recommend you set it for 1 hour in the morning, then again around lunch time, early afternoon and then again in the evening. This will consistently keep the property warm without overheating it and then needing to open all windows and therefore wasting energy. It will also keep your energy bills low and is definitely more environmentally friendly than keeping the boiler on 24/7.

If you start to see the first signs of black mould, it can be cleaned away using a bleach solution or specific mould spray (please ensure caution when using bleach. Ensure eyes and skin is covered). Make sure the cloth used is disposed of afterwards to avoid further contamination.

The longer the mould is left the worse it will get.

If you are concerned at all and the mould is spreading, you may want to contact your landlord or letting agent to take a look.

We hope you found this read useful and it will help you avoid mould in your student accommodation.


Your Team @ Student Haus

Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.