Student Haus will provide an effective and responsive repairs service to its tenants to ensure that their rights to the enjoyment of their homes are not disturbed and that the value of the landlord’s properties are maintained. 
1.       Legal Responsibilities 
1.1 The landlord is responsible for
• Keeping in repair the structure and exterior of individual properties. 
• Keeping in good repair and working order installations for heating, water heating and sanitation and for the supply of water, gas and electricity. 
• Keeping any common parts (e.g. in blocks of flats) in reasonable repair and fit for use by tenants and visitors to the property. 
• Keeping the exterior of properties and any common parts in a reasonable state of decoration including roof, drains, gutters,.
Further responsibilities include:
Internal walls, skirting boards, doors & door frames, door jambs, thresholds, floors and ceilings (but not internal painting & decorating)
Major internal plasterwork
Flues, chimneys and chimney stacks (but not cleaning the chimneys)
Fences, pathways, boundary walls, steps, ramps and stair-lifts
Garages and outbuildings (where provided by your landlord)
Common entrances, stairways, lifts and lighting
Electrical sockets, smoke detectors 
Basins, sinks, baths, toilets, flushing systems and waste pipes
Re-tiling in bathrooms and kitchens
PLEASE NOTE: There are certain repairs within your property that if caused by either you, a member of your household or a visitor will result in your landlord asking you to contribute or pay in full the amount for the cost of the repair. 
1.2 The tenants’ are responsible for
• Keeping the interior of the premises in good and clean condition and keeping the internal parts of the property in good decorative order. 
• Making good any damage to the property caused by them or their visitors. 
• Ensuring they seek and receive permission from the landlord/ Student Haus for any improvements or alterations to the property. 
• Reporting any disrepair or defect for which the landlord is responsible promptly to avoid any additional damage caused by delay.
This includes:
Painting/decorating the interior of the property
Altering doors for carpets
Replacing lost/damaged keys (Your landlord will actually charge you for the cost of replacing keys or fobs)
Repairing small plaster cracks
Replacing electric plugs, fuses & light bulbs
The upkeep of the garden
Plumbing in your own washing machine
Replacing the toilet seat
Bath and sink plugs.
2.       Reporting Repairs 
If you find any damages to your landlord’s furniture or fittings that are in need of repair, you will need to contact Student Haus immediately. DO NOT make your own arrangements to have these repairs done. You may feel as though you are being helpful, but in the end you may have to pay for them and any damage that has been incurred.
2.1 Tenants can report repairs to Student Haus in any of the following ways: 
• via our online reporting system
2.2 When repairs are ordered a confirmation email will be sent to the lead tenant within 5 working days. The work order email includes the following details: 
• a summary of the repair work ordered 
• a date for which the work has been agreed to be completed on
• agreed price (this information might not be made available to the tenants on the initial work order)
2.1 Repair Categories and Target Timescales for their completion 
3.1 There are three categories of responsive repair, as outlined below 
3.2 Each repair request will be placed into one of the three categories and the work ordered. 
3.3 In some instances a contractor may need to inspect the defect to establish the precise nature of the repair work required. In such cases the contractor will usually undertake the inspection within 5 working days.
2.1.1 Emergency Repairs 
These are repairs that need to be carried out to avoid serious danger to the health and safety of the occupants or where a failure to carry out the repair could cause extensive damage to buildings and property. Examples of emergency repairs would include loss of all electrical power in the property, loss of all heating and hot water in the property, blockage of WC, unable to secure main entrance to property. Emergency repairs will be completed within 4 or 24 hours of the defect being reported to Student Haus. Please note our out of office emergency repair number is 07938 537 471. This number is to be used by tenants for emergencies only.
Types of emergency repairs you may encounter include*:
Blocked/ Broken Toilet
Broken door or window which could make the property susceptible to burglary – thus putting your security at risk
A burst pipe
Electricity failure
Loss of water supply
Complete failure of heating system or loss of hot water - this is particularly important during winter, where old, disabled or small children are involved
Blocked drain/soil stack
*Please note, depending on the severity of any of the above, the situation may or may not classify as an emergency and will be assessed by the manager where appropriate. 
In an emergency – What to do
If you need the FIRE BRIGADE, POLICE or an AMBULANCE dial 999 straight away. DO NOT contact Student Haus first.
Gas or fumes
If you think that you have got a gas leak; can smell gas, or think that you or someone in your house is suffering from the ill effects of fumes caused by a gas appliance, you should take the following actions IMMEDIATELY, especially if the smell of gas is strong:
If you smoke put out any cigarettes, don’t light any naked flames such as a lighter or a match, and switch off any electric fires within the property
Go into the kitchen and check that all cooker knobs are turned off
Check if a pilot light has gone out on a cooker or boiler
If you discover a leak try to turn off the pilot light
Next turn off the gas meter control level – this is normally located to the side of your gas meter where the supply comes into your property
DO NOT operate any electrical switches including doorbells - either on or off
DO NOT switch on or off any lights/sockets or appliances as this could trigger a spark
Go throughout the entire property and open all windows and doors to air out your home
DO NOT use your telephone or mobile inside the house. Like a light switch either one of these could cause a spark and ignite any gas left in the area
Once you have done all this leave your property, taking all occupants with you
If the small of gas returns to your property phone TRANSCO on 0800 111999 and follow the above precautions
Inform Student Haus as soon as possible about what has happened
Should you only smell gas slightly, take the following precautions:
Go into the kitchen and check that all cooker knobs are turned off
Check if a pilot light has gone out on a cooker or boiler
If you discover a leak try to turn off the pilot light, or alternatively turn off the gas supply straight from the source using the lever next to the meter
If you smoke put out all cigarettes, naked flames and switch off all electric fires
Go through your house and open all doors and windows to help air out your home. Wait until the smell of gas has completely gone before re-lighting the pilot light(s)
If the smell of gas returns call TRANSCO on 0800 111 999
Exposure to gas fumes can come with a number of side effects that you need to be aware of. Ones to take note of include:
Feeling light headed
Burst Pipe
In the event of a pipe bursting following the procedure below:
Turn off your mains water supply at the stopcock. This is typically found under the kitchen sink or near the toilet
Next turn on all your taps to help drain the remaining water from the pipes
If you discover that water is running down a light fitting, switch it off and remove the appropriate fuse from the fuse box to prevent further damage
Contact your Landlord
PLEASE NOTE – It is important that you familiarise yourself with the Central Heating System in your property and also that your property is receiving sufficient heating during the winter months to reduce the risk of burst pipes. If you plan to go away for a set period during winter, leave some heating on and inform Student Haus of your plans.
Should your chip/frying pan catch fire whilst you are cooking, remember these points:
DO NOT throw water onto the fire
Switch off the cooker
Next, cover the pan with a lid, a damp cloth or if you have got one available a fire blanket
Leave the pan to cool down before you try to touch it
DO NOT lift the lid from off of the pan for at least 30 minutes. Remove it too early and this could cause the fire to flare up again
There may be a number of reasons why you may experience electricity problems. Should it happen, try to remember the following: 
If the power to your home and your neighbour’s home suddenly goes off, contact your electricity supplier
If the power to an appliance suddenly goes off, first check the plug before going to the fuse box
REMEMBER: If your property operates using a key meter remember to check that you have credit before doing any of the above. Your electrical problems may have simply been triggered due to running out of credit.
2.1.2 Urgent Repairs 
These are repairs that may affect the comfort of residents and may cause damage to the property if not carried out urgently. Examples of urgent repairs would include renew light fitting, repair leaking pipe in the property, unblock drain. Urgent repairs will be completed within 5 working days of the defect being reported to Student Haus. 
Examples of what can be considered to be ‘Urgent Repairs’ are:  
Leaking roof
Overflow from a toilet cistern
A cracked bath or sink
Loss of heating to non-vulnerable tenants
Leaking waste pipe
2.1.3 Routine Repairs 
These are repairs that are not urgent, although they may cause inconvenience to residents. Examples of routine repairs would include easing an internal door, clearing an overflowing gutter. Routine repairs will be completed within 28 working days of the defect being reported to the Council.
Examples of ‘Routine Repairs’ include:
Blocked or broken gutters/drainpipes
Minor roof repairs
Glazing or plaster repairs
Repairs to kitchen fittings Programmed Maintenance
This involves the type of work that your landlord needs to perform to help keep your home and its general estate in a good condition. This can includes:
Contracts for servicing lifts, boilers, and heating systems
External painting
Planned replacement or maintenance of certain areas of the property, which may wear out or require servicing such as roof tiles, fencing, etc.
3.0 Standards and Timescales
If the Tenant is not happy with the repairs that our contractors have performed on the Tenant’s property or the Tenant is not impressed with Student Haus response times – especially if we have not responded within the times we have specified - then you should contact us. 
Once the Tenant has contacted us, we will endeavour to put things right. However, if after all this The Tenant is still dissatisfied, it is within their right to complain in accordance with Student Haus complaints procedure.
Gas Appliances
It is your landlord’s obligation to ensure:
All means of use/supply of mains gas, and alterations/repairs to gas installations all comply with the current Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations.
That all their gas appliances are serviced annually by a registered technician. 
All repairs to the gas/supply pipe work/appliances is performed by registered fitters
Electrical Installations and Appliances
It is your landlord’s obligation to ensure:
All electrical wiring within the property is in a safe, working condition.
All repairs and improvements done to electrical installations comply with the current Wiring Regulations.
All components used in electrical wiring installations/repairs comply with Industry Standards and that they are installed in accordance with Manufacturers instructions.
All their appliances are regularly inspected for ‘wear and tear’ and that all defects spotted are quickly remedied. 
Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.