What is the difference between HMOs, mandatory licenced HMOs, ?

The Housing Act 2004 has introduced a new definition of a house in multiple occupation. Generally a house in multiple occupation will be a property occupied by more than 2 people who form more than 1 household and where communal areas are shared between the tenants (i.e. kitchen facilities, bathrooms, etc.).


Landlords require a mandatory HMO licence where the following criteria apply:

  • The property is at least 3 storeys high
  • There are at least 5 tenants living there, forming more than 1 household
  • The tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants


Some Councils, such as Salford Council, also have selective licence schemes in place, where a landlord requires a licence regardless of whether the property is a HMO or not.



It is important for student landlords to note that the properties need to be compliant with HMO regulations regardless of whether the property requires a mandatory HMO licence or not.


For further information about mandatory HMO licences, selective licences and HMO regulations, please visit the local Council's website or check the link here https://www.gov.uk/house-in-multiple-occupation-licence




Have more questions? Submit a request


Article is closed for comments.