Personal information charter

This personal information charter explains how we look after your information.

We sometimes need to process personal information about you so that we can provide services for you and administer tenancies.

This personal information charter (sometimes called a privacy notice) contains the standards you can expect when we ask for, or hold, your personal information. It also covers what we ask of you to help us keep information up-to-date, how you can request a copy of the personal information we hold about you, and how you can report a concern. 

Our standards

The processing of personal data is governed by the Data Protection Act (DPA) and other relevant legislation. When we ask you for personal information, we ensure that:

  • we only ask for what we need and don’t collect too much or irrelevant information
  • we only share it with other organisations when it is lawful to do so
  • we don’t keep it longer than necessary
  • it’s not made available for commercial use without your permission

In return, we ask you to:

  • give us accurate information
  • tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as a new address

This helps us keep your information reliable and up-to-date.

Personal information that we collect and process

We collect and process personal information for the exercise of our functions and administration related to the letting and management of property. 

We may ask you for different types of personal data, including a copy of ID and proof of address.

Keeping personal information

We will keep your data for as long as is needed to provide you with a service or conduct our business in accordance with our functions and our record management. We may also keep it for longer in order to meet other legislative requirements.

Sharing information with others

Any personal data you provide will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and other relevant legislation. We may disclose your information to other organisations so that we can carry out our functions, i.e. credit and reference checks.


How to ask for your data

If we hold any data about you, you have the right to ask for a copy of it.


When you write to us you must provide the following via email:

  • confirmation of name: a copy of your passport, full driving license or birth certificate
  • confirmation of name and address: a copy of your full driving license, a copy of a recent utility bill, bank or credit card statement, pension or child benefit book (or similar official document which shows your name and address)
  • if you are writing on behalf of someone else, you must also include a signed declaration from the person you are acting for indicating that they have asked you to make an application on their behalf

You must also:

  • make a bank transfer of £10 (bank details to be confirmed via invoice)

Upon receipt of all the above provisions, Student Haus has 40 calendar days within which to respond to your request.



Further information

This privacy notice has been created to be understandable and concise. As a result it does not include exhaustive detail about what information we hold, every organisation Student Haus shares information with, how the information is collected or how long all information is kept.



Reporting a concern

When we process your information we will comply with the law, including the Data Protection Act 1998. Should you feel that your data is being processed in breach of the DPA you can report your concern to the Information Commissioner’s Office at:

Wycliffe House
Water Lane


Have more questions? Submit a request


Article is closed for comments.