ON DISCOVERING A FIRE IN YOUR STUDENT ACCOMMODATION
1. Raise the alarm
2. Operate the nearest fire alarm point if one is available
3. Call the fire brigade (999)
a. This should be done from a safe place
4. Only attempt to extinguish the fire
a. If you feel it is safe to do so
b. Without taking personal risk.
5. When leaving the room, ensure the door closes behind you.
6. Leave the house closing all doors behind you.
7. Proceed to a safe assembly point on the pavement opposite the house.
a. Do not attempt to pass others
b. Do not use the lifts (where applicable)
Fire Safety in Your Student Accommodation
1. Don't prop open fire doors. These should always be kept shut.
2. Keep escape windows and doors clear of any obstruction.
3. Do not overload sockets or use appliances that are damaged or have damaged cables. If you have to use an adaptor or extension lead, ensure it is in good condition, is properly fused and complies with an appropriate standard.
4. Do not leave cooking unattended and keep cooking appliances clean and free of crumbs, fat and grease that can catch fire.
5. Do not leave candles unattended and properly extinguish them when not in use. Make sure that they are placed on fire resistant surfaces and away from furnishing and fabrics.
6. Do not smoke inside the property. Ensure cigarettes are properly extinguished.
7. Do not cover up, disconnect or tamper with smoke alarms/the fire alarm system. Report all faults and false alarms to Student Haus.
8. If a fire becomes uncontrollable, do not attempt to extinguish it. Get out and dial 999.
9. Use a proper adapter when using a non UK electrical appliance.
10. Know your escape route in your student property. Make sure you and your housemates know the quickest way out in the event of fire. Make sure there are no bikes blocking your exit in the hallway and be aware of any windows that are barred.
11. Don't use heaters for drying clothes.
These are guidelines only. The list is not comprehensive.
FIRE PRECAUTIONS (E.g., door closers, fire doors and the fire alarm system) HAVE BEEN PROVIDED IN THIS PROPERTY BY THE LANDLORD TO PROTECT YOUR HEALTH AND SAFETY
PERSONAL POSSESSIONS SHOULD NOT BE STORED IN CORRIDORS AND THE STAIRCASE AREA